As a promotional stunt, an Irish tech company buried US$100,000 worth of a new cryptocurrency at Everest’s summit. It has come to light that the death of a Sherpa guide was linked to the event. “We are now aware that one of the Sherpas who assisted our group amongst others, went missing during the descent,” the company said in a statement.
Why it matters:
- According to Seven Summit Treks, who organized the logistics for the expedition, Lama Babu Sherpa has not been seen since May 14 and is presumed dead.
- He was guiding four climbers sponsored by the company and went missing near the peak’s summit in mid-May. One of the guide’s crampons and his backpack were found but his body has not been located.
- Four Ukrainian “crypto enthusiasts” climbed the Everest carrying with them two smart cards loaded with one million tokens of the company’s yet-to-be-released cryptocurrency. They were sponsored by the startup based in Latvia and Ukraine.
- Upon reaching the summit, they buried one of the smart cards. Taras Pozdini, one of the climbers allegedly shot a video and he said, “You can come and take them if you can” on the video. It was uploaded by the company.
- Pozdini told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that the missing guide was not always part of their team, but he had seen him at the summit. “He was behind us when coming back. I don’t know what happened to him,” he told to the AFP.
- OnlineKhabar Reportedly Found Mining Cryptocurrency Using its Readers CPU [Updated]
- Why is Bitcoin Illegal in Nepal?
- 7 Bitcoin Traders Arrested by Police in Nepal; Bitcoin is Illegal in Nepal!
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro: Samsung Introduces a New Pro SmartwatchAt the Unpacked 2022 event on August 10, Samsung introduced the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro.…
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 with Temperature Sensor and Bigger Battery UnveiledSamsung unveiled the new Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 series, its latest Android smartwatches, at Samsung…
Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro with 24-bit Hi-Fi and Enhanced ANC Launching Soon in NepalAlong with the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 and Galaxy Z flip 4, Samsung also…